Re: Color transparency to B&W-On the other hand.

From: Robert W. Schramm (schrammrus@hotmail.com)
Date: 04/17/00-08:22:05 PM Z

I am glad someone agrees with me on this. I perhaps had my numbers off
but I was in the ball park. Color positives - 8:1 to 16:1
B & W. Negatives - 64:1 to 144:1.
I had saidthat this came from several textbooks and Sil asked me
what the references were. I did spend about a hour today looking
but never found them. When I quit teaching 2 years ago, I gave a lot
of books away to students. Anyway, without the references I am sure this is
correct. If you think about it, tonal range is related to latitude. It is a
well known fact that color positives have a
latitute of only about +- 1/2 a stop. By comparison, a B & W negative
film can have a latitude of +- 2 or 3 stops and thus a greater tonal range.

I would agree that if the color positive is all you have and you
are making enlarged negatives for some process that does not require
a negative of great range or don't really care, then, by all means
this would be a fairly easy way to make enlarged negatives. I was just
pointing out one disadvantage of doing this.

I have used all kinds of methods of making enlarged negatives. Most
of them worked fine for all processes but platinum. I just could
never get a negative that would equal the tonal range that is
possible with a platinum print. I finally bought an 8 x 10 camera
and started making in-camera negs for platinum. This resulted in
some of my most sucessful prints (as measured in terms of awards and
sales).

Bob Schramm