Re: buying a 4 x 5 camera

From: Les Newcomer (lnphoto@ismi.net)
Date: 04/24/00-08:52:13 AM Z

Christina,

Whle Toyo is a very good camera, it's also a bit heavy in the field. The
school I went to had Sinar P2s in every studio and everything under the sun to
check out for field use from Speed Graphics, to 11x14 Deardorffs.

I learned early on not to get caught up in the high priced camera equipment
game. A modern (last 20 years) bottom of the line Cambo /Calumet rail camera
is light enough to carry in the field, sturdy enough to handle being bounced in
the car and will do all of the movement that the Toyo will do. These are
selling in the $300-500 range, I would thing for around $1000 you could have
yourself a very nice versatile set up, then spend the diffence on film and
processing. Investing money in film & processing (experience) is more
important that chrome rails and geared movements.

I Speed Graphic is a good second camera when movements aren't necessary, but
right now you need a camera that can do everything.

I bought my Calumet (I believe it's the SC model) right out of college, and
still use it, 12 years later. Once I had to show a profit in order to eat, all
of the those bells and whistles on newer models seemed expensive. Check Ebay
for prices and ideas, then lookaround your area for somebody wanting to
upgrade.

Les