Re: buying a 4 x 5 camera

From: Andre Fuhrmann (Andre.Fuhrmann@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: 04/24/00-09:23:01 AM Z

>..need
>to finally buy my own large format camera;

Hi Christina,

of course, it all depends ... ;-) I went through 3 LF cameras, 1
view and 2 field cameras. In the end I liked my Linhof Technica
field camera best. But I guess a Toyo would have been fine too.

   A LF camera is a fairly simple beast -- you can't go much wrong.
Consider buying a view (monorail) camera only if you really need the
extra tiltability (eg for complicated stills). If you decide for a
view camera there are a number of good choices. But there is one
outstanding system that you should invest in, if you can afford it:
SINAR. A field camera seems to me the overall better choice. It
should feel rugged: if you bang it against a door, not the camera but
the door should suffer. All moving parts should be adjustable
without play. The back should be for international (standard)
filmholders. The lensboad should be simple enough to make your own.
Some people emphasize lens quality. I beg to disagree -- at least if
lense quality is to imply super sharp laser coated APO XYZ. With
large formats lens quality is by far not as critical as with 35mm.
Instead you can be in for some pleasant surprises with older and
simple lens constructions such as a Dagor or a Protar. More
important, to my mind, is a reliable shutter.

-- A