Re: buying a 4 x 5 camera

From: Mats Broberg (mbroberg@swipnet.se)
Date: 04/24/00-02:13:09 PM Z

> "Christina Z. Anderson" wrote:
> >
> > This is definitely off topic (even though the negs will be used in alt
> > process!), but PLEASE email me suggestions off list--I am just about to
> > graduate from college with a degree in photography (and painting) and need
> > to finally buy my own large format camera; I can get one through Toyo
> > through the student purchase program (PEPP), with a healthy discount, but am
> > not sure if that would be a good camera brand to buy. I have to make up my
> > mind very soon to take advantage of the student price. My requirements are 4
> > by 5, and one that can be used in studio as well as on location, thus
> > lightweight and versatile. Lens suggestions also welcome. I apologize in
> > advance if this sales request is verboten.

Christina,

Don't forget about the option to build your own large format camera in
wood (preferably teak or cherry) - what is between the lens and the film
holder is basically not very important as long as it is doesn't leak
light. If you have some experience with woodworking, there's a large
community on the Internet of people building their own large format
cameras. Ready-made bellow can be bought in both USA and UK - I know of
at least 4 manufacturers. A high-quality optical rail with two carriages
can be bought at Edmund Scientific, Melles Griot or Micro Control.

This way you can put your money on the lens and shutter instead.

Check out these URLs:

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~qtluong/photography/lf/
http://home.sol.no/~gjon

Mats Broberg