Re: UV lights for gum

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 04/25/00-12:47:18 PM Z

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Les Newcomer wrote:

> The there's the variablity of the sun itself. Montana sun in June is different
> from Montana sun in December which is still different than the sun that hits
> the ground in LA. any time of the year. So anybody's empirical tests will only
> be good for the surrounding area, will it not?

Give that man the silver dollar ! Not only season of the year, but part
of the country, and cloud cover for that particular day -- and did I
mention hour of day? When the sun is relatively low in the sky the light
is filtered through much more miasma, which, depending on the pollutants
of your choice, filter out .... whatever they choose...

I find gum a flexible ("forgiving", to use the love and photo term) enough
medium so precise exposure isn't a huge issue. But for media that can't be
adjusted retroactively (ie., everything else), relying on the sun seems
whimsical, assuming you have electricity. (And as noted, for young people
who still feel they have a lot of time to waste, sitting around outdoors
while their print exposes.)

As for gum in the sun -- watch it ! Direct sun on a clear summer day can
not only overexpose in 30 seconds (especially if you like your mix
strong), it can cook your emulsion, that is, fog it, from the heat while
it's at it.

Judy