Re: UV lights for gum

From: Les Newcomer (lnphoto@ismi.net)
Date: 04/25/00-02:27:25 PM Z

Judy Seigel wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Les Newcomer wrote:
>
> > The there's the variablity of the sun itself. Montana sun in June is different
> > from Montana sun in December which is still different than the sun that hits
> > the ground in LA. any time of the year. So anybody's empirical tests will only
> > be good for the surrounding area, will it not?
> >

> Give that man the silver dollar ! Not only season of the year, but part
> of the country, and cloud cover for that particular day -- and did I
> mention hour of day? When the sun is relatively low in the sky the light
> is filtered through much more miasma, which, depending on the pollutants
> of your choice, filter out .... whatever they choose...

<snip>

After re reading this it occured to me that people were saying the same thing about
exposing dry plates around 1900-1910. A lot of 'exposure tables' were published at
that time varying by the month time of day, lattitude, etc, but rarely cloud cover!

I guess my point is eventually we worked this out and (maybe with that suntan/UV
meter!) a usable test could be done. BTW does this mean I could use Coppertone SPF
6 to dodge the shadows? ;-}

Les