Re: light sources and sharpness

From: Sandy King (sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu)
Date: 04/26/00-05:32:23 AM Z

Jeffrey Mathias wrote:

>I have printed Pt/Pd in both direct sun and shade (indirect sun) from
>the same negative. There is a difference in the look of the prints.
>However I would not attribute the difference to sharpness. The apparent
>sharpness can look identical. The sharpness is much more a function of
>the paper selected than the direct or diffuse exposure light. Perhaps
>the paper surface of even a smooth paper hides any supposed difference
>from light sources.

Jeffrey,

I had assumed that the term "more lively," which was used to describe
prints made with metal halide lights, might in fact be an effect
which we could attribute to greater apparent sharpness.

Regarding the question of difference between the look of Pt/Pd prints
made in direct sun and shade, if not one of apparent sharpness, could
you elaborate somewhat on the actual nature of the difference?

Sandy King