Re: Re: UV lights for gum

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 04/25/00-08:24:02 PM Z

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000 Smieglitz@aol.com wrote:
> ... I now believe based on years of experience and testing a seemingly
> infinite number of permutations in materials, that the quartz halogen, metal
> halide lamps, and the sun are much, much, much, much better for gum printing
> than the UV tubes. Several tests after the one I scanned also indicate this
> to be the case. I don't want to keep testing and speculating. My brain
> hurts. I want to move on and use my eyes now. I want to print some images.

Joe, I agree about the pain in the brain from testing, and clearly you've
done more than your share.... But it seems from here that what you've
proved is that quartz halogen (whatever they are) prints better for your
negative, paper, size, pigment, and esthetic combination than the BL
bulbs, not necessarily for someone else's. Since you didn't use a 21-step
this is little to go on besides "that's how Smieglitz makes a Smieglitz."
Which is to say, so far no objective or quantitative data or info.

Also, I gather from today's messages on the topic, the tests were done
with one coat of yellow. I take it however that your finished print is
several coats, tho whether in process (CMK) or other colors, you don't
say. Have you actually finished prints by QH or are these the
preliminaries? (In my experience, different colors print differently &
subsequent coats can "curve" differently from the first.)

Judy