Re: Kodak Duraclear

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 07/31/00-10:03:48 PM Z

Sandy King wrote:
> Tell me more about Duraclear. I have not used this product before.

Most signs in a fast food restaurant are made on Duratrans film (or
similar product) or if the sign has a built in diffuser, Duraclear. The
-trans has a diffusing base, the -clear has a transparent base. It is a
color material processed by the RA-4 process. It is recommended that a
machine be used, but note that the RA-4 process times are longer for
Duraclear than other RA-4 films (so a lab may be hesitant to readjust
their machine unless they have one that is set up for Dura-).

Information on this film can be found on the Kodak site at the following
link.
http://www.kodak.com/cgi-bin/webCatalog.pl?product=KODAK+PROFESSIONAL+DURACLEAR+Display+Material&cc=US&lc=en

The Duraclear has a very good response curve and is capable of high
density. Although it has a disadvantage of needing a machine to properly
process, it seems to have the closest curve to the Commercial film 4127
by Kodak's data.

I started looking into this film when Kodak stopped producing 4127 in
large sheets. However, I have held off on buying a processing machine
(I did try tray processing with inconsistant and not-so-good results),
and have limited my sizes to 8x10 or multiple 8x10 and am researching
digital. If digital does not get me what I want in another couple
years, then I'll likely get a nice RA-4 machine. The advantage I give
to digital is the ease and control of the outcome. Although currently,
the advantage has to go to analog for quality.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/