Re: Kodak to re-introduce Super-XX

From: Rod Fleming (rodfleming@sol.co.uk)
Date: 08/06/00-03:51:13 AM Z

Judy,

I think you are in danger of leading this down digital/not digital route,
which would be tedious. I appreciate the value of digital, I use it all the
time in my commercial work and have done so for 5 years now (well do I
remember the delights of triple pass scanning and PhotoShop 2.5 on an
AppleMac laptop with a postage stamp for a screen. Shudder.)

I don't need to be persuaded of the advantages of digital, and I have put in
the homework over the years. Nowadays there are many things I can do very
quickly, right here, which beforehand would have required a great deal of
darkroom time, not to mention the services of airbrush artists, considerable
expense and not a little frustration. But in my personal work I exclusively
use photo-optical methods. It's not a rant thing, it's just- well, to
paraphrase Elliott Erwitt, digital is for work, photo-optical is for
pleasure.

I think that states where I'm coming from; the simple truth of the matter is
that for many years Kodak has taken but little heed of the increasingly
limited market for monochrome products, and has been chiselling away at the
product range. That's fine, it's their business. All I'm saying is that a) I
think any attempt to get Kodak to reintroduce SuperXX is doomed, b) IF there
are enough people interested in buying a replica emulsion they should get
together (for which the internet is ideal) and approach a smaller
manufacturer with the promise of a certain amount of guaranteed sales and c)
it is these smaller manufacturers, which have already been mentioned, which
will be the future of film-based monochrome photography, and it is these
manufacturers which deserve our support.

I understand the pride Americans take in their own world-leading company,
Kodak, but you have to be realistic- Kodak is going to dump the messy,
environmentally hazardous chemical stuff just as soon as it (profitably)
can. And that applies to a range of product far wider than one or two rather
elderly emulsions. If we have not been supporting the smaller companies,
then where will we be?

Rod