Re: Introductory teaching materials

From: janet neuhauser (jneuhauser@silverlink.net)
Date: 08/17/00-07:43:02 PM Z

Hi--

I just returned from a vacation in New York (seeing a lot of wonderful work) and read your email. I
have taught both college level and high school photography for the last six years and have lots of
experience with high school students from beginning to advanced. I teach alt processes to my
"professional students"--seniors who I have year long. They love it and so do I. I essentially teach
in college twice as much in the same time period as I do in high school. The difference is that high
school students (in my experience) need lots of repetition and interactive handouts. They do not
get it if you simply lecture. I lecture on a procedure (i. e. film developing) have them fill in the blanks
on the handout, answer study questions,. then demonstrate it in great detail, having them take
more notes and then let them do it together as a group. The information is reinforced with
crossword puzzles, study quesitons, etc. and finally quizzes and tests. The point is in high school
to make the 1000 point syllabus broken down into small tidbits and a myriad of ways to get points
and understand the material. Last year I gathered all my information for beginning and advanced
classes into handbooks assembled from my handouts. The handbooks made everything much
easier. The students learned the material faster and better and we were able to cover much more
territory. the handbook is designed to teach the basics of photography in a 60 hour course,
covering a little history, camera parts, film exposure, development, printing on RC paper, depth of
field, motion, lenses, composition, dry mounting, evaluating photographs, etc. I save fiber paper
for the advanced classes mainly because of the expense. We are mandated in this state (WA) to
teach writing within the subject area and I have them write about their work alot. I would be happy to
send you a copy of the handbook, which is copyrighted --- people tell me I should sell the books,
which I could do if you are interested in using it. The students love the handbooks and if they go
on to advanced, they keep them and use them for review, reference etc. The advanced classes I
teach have handbooks as well. The textbooks available are excellent but we couldnt afford to buy
them. I have an array of books in my room and supplement the handbooks with slide shows,
videos, and books as well as internet sites. I think the students like the handbooks because they
are mostly in their own words and are evidence of their learning process. I give them points at
midterm and final for how complete the book is as well as points for various assignments within the
book. Let me know if you are interested in viewing a copy and I will be glad to mail you one.
Teaching high school students is a huge challenge, one I was completely unprepared for. But I
love turning them onto photography and it has really made a difference in some of their lives. They
in general love photography and I have to literally kick them out of the class and the darkroom at the
end of the day. They just cant get enough. We are fortunate enough to have a color processor
and do color in the advanced classes. High School students are very uninhibited with the medium
(all aspects) and very creative. I hope you enjoy this new challenge!

Good luck,

Janet Neuhauser