inkjet on acetate offsetting onto BFK

From: Sarah Van Keuren (svk@steuber.com)
Date: 08/21/00-08:15:03 AM Z

Recently I left an inkjet negative on acetate, produced by Dan Burkholder's
colorized grayscale method on an Epson 1200, lying printed side down
overnight on a piece of unsized BFK Rives paper. The acetate had been
printed about half an hour earlier and seemed perfectly dry. The next day
when I coated the BFK with cyanotype solution I noticed that it soaked
through the paper in a pattern that looked like the negative. I went ahead
and exposed the inkjet negative and noticed that a ghost image negative had
also printed in a different position, presumably where the negative had
lightly lain. That night I made a different inkjet acetate negative and
placed it against BFK beneath plate glass overnight. The next day I coated
with cyanotype solution and again found a pattern of penetration of the
paper but still no offsetting of color. I exposed the cyanotype with no
negative at all and got a rough rendition of my image, mostly as a positive
but with some solarization effects in the highlights.

I wonder if any of you can explain what is going on. Perhaps I should direct
this to the cyanotype website but I thought I'd try this group first. It
seems to me that it offers possibilities. For instance, a sandwich of inkjet
acetate negative and BFK could be run through an etching press to make a
sharper offset and maybe it would work with vandyke and other processes.

Sarah

P.S. I have been printing with inkjet negative taped against clear acetate
but have been bugged by what are Newton's rings, I think. A spray available
through Tetanal was recommended but I couldn't track it down. I have dried
dusting with corn starch and wiping with cotton balls and that seems pretty
good thus far.