Re: Thoughts on MFA program

From: Gary Miller (gmphotos@earthlink.net)
Date: 08/29/00-06:06:37 PM Z

I am currently completing my Masters program with one more semester of
courses to go. I have to say that I did not attend graduate school to
'learn' photography or art per se. I had a good, solid technical and
aesthetic background when I entered. I did not expect some magical
knowledge to be given to me that would transform me into an 'artist'. For
me graduate school provided a framework to work within. By interacting with
professors, professional photographers and other students, seeing different
approaches, being immersed in an artistic environment all aided my further
creative development. If nothing more graduate school allowed me to
separate from the world and to enter into a creative world. I was able to
dedicate large amounts of time to my photography and anything that you give
attention to will flourish. Has graduate school made me a better
photographer/artist? I cannot say, but I can say with confidence that my
work is better now and I feel more creative than I did when I began the
program two years ago. Whether the school did it or I would have been able
to do it on my own I cannot say. Graduate school gave me the reason to quit
the job that I did not like, move to California, and to begin the path to a
more creative/artistic life. I also am very interested in teaching, so the
MFA degree is sort of a conciliation prize that will allow me to teach at
the university level. I would go through the experience all over again even
if there was no degree at the end. Personal enrichment is the true reason
for art in my eyes. To be allowed the luxury of seeing the world and
existing within it in an artistic way is reward enough for me.

Gary Miller