Re: PRE DEVELOPMENT BLEACHING

From: Rod Fleming (rodfleming@sol.co.uk)
Date: 08/31/00-01:41:11 AM Z

Hi
----- Original Message -----
From: "Judy Seigel" <jseigel@panix.com>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca>
Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2000 2:47 AM
Subject: Re: PRE DEVELOPMENT BLEACHING

> I used the method for lith film... an excellent way to lower contrast
> while getting good continuous tone for an enlarged negative

Good shout Judy- I've not tried it on lith film, sounds useful. What was the
bleach time and concentration you were using, roughly?

> For lith film the correct dilution of the ferricyanide solution turned out
> to be VERY VERY weak... like 1/2% or less... What I didn't understand at
> the time was that such a weak dilution would have to be used one-shot

Forgot to mention that- it was late. The way I use it, for prints, is to
make a stock solution at 10% bv. This I then dilute 10 ml of this stock in
990ml of water to make a working stock solution and this is then diluted
again- usually I use about 100 ml per litre although you can make it more
dilute- to make the individual baths. This is now a 0.01% solution and is
pretty rapid- bleach times about 1 min or less will be plenty. (More dilute
solutions tke longer; I'm impatient.) As you say, it has to be used 1-shot,
and in case anyone is concerned there is no problem with carry-over into the
dev.

Oh, and you lose at least a stop of speed with paper- how about film?

Rod