Re: Palladium

From: Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.co.uk)
Date: 12/01/00-04:17:37 PM Z

Emma

I think you will get as many opinions as answers on this one.

I used to teach kallitype to beginners and found it was easy for them to
get good results.

For the easiest of all ways in you could try the vandyke method - as in
'Keepers of Light' and elsewhere. Fast, easy and cheap, though possibly
not fully archival. The only possibly easier process is cyanotype.

For class use you will also find it can work well on some cheap student
cartridge papers at around one twentieth the cost of good watercolour
paper.

I have are several prints I made in both palladium/platinum and in
kallitype which are near identical - and sometimes the kallitype is
better. We've have discussions here (and elsewhere) about the probability
that some vintage platinum prints may actually be kallitypes.

Incidentally I found the Argyrotype to be much tricker to work with than
kallitype - it seemed to be far more dependent on the paper.

Peter Marshall
Photography Guide at About http://photography.about.com/
email: photography.guide@about.com
London's Industrial Heritage: http://petermarshallphotos.co.uk/