Re: Feedback request for large inkjet negative material please

Smieglitz@aol.com
Date: 12/01/00-05:49:53 PM Z

In a message dated 12/01/2000 16:06:56, Dan wrote:

<<I've tested this material with both Epson 1270 and 1160 printers (the
later using Jon Cone's Quadtone pigmented inks and Piezography software
[www.inkjetmall.com] to get the best negs yet) and have had very good
results.>>

Hey gang,

I saw some of Dan's results and a seminar by George DeWolff on the Epson/Cone
quadtone combo in Chicago a couple months ago. I was totally impressed. I
couldn't pick out any halftone dot with the unaided eye on either negatives
or prints. The previous generation of inkjet printers always left an
obvivious dot which I found disturbing (except marginally for gum printing
where slight misregistration, shrinkage, etc. helped mask the dot with minor
blurring).

As a result of their seminars and the results I saw, I've signed up for a
printing workshop at Cone editions specifically to get going with this
system. Jumping in with an Epson 1160 and the Cone software (check out
www.inkjetmall.com for more info) and piezographic inks. I'm getting into it
specifically to do 11x14 color separation negatives for 4-color gum
printing, but the results were also impressive in the quadtone and platinum
prints I saw. (I'm still sticking to those big in-camera negatives for
single-coated prints, but this system is going to replace making enlarged
negatives in the wet darkroom for me.)

I have no affiliation with Cone, Epson, or the acetate manufacturer, but am
only truly impressed with this technology and would urge anyone considering
making the move to reply to Dan and help get this stuff manufactured.

Joe (smieglitz@aol.com)