Saturated Pt-developer

From: Hans Nohlberg (chiahans@tripnet.se)
Date: 12/01/00-07:25:10 PM Z

To the chemists out there,

I'm throwing chemistry away quite unnecessary. Every time when I have mixed
Potassium Oxalate and Ammonium Citrate, i. e. 50/50, there is a heavy
precipitation. In a mixed solution of ca 2000ml there is very much
precipitated, maybe 100-150g. This phenomen takes 10-15 hours to occur.
Room temperature is about 20C. After filtering the solution stays clear.
Warming the solution some degrees works also. But after some hours when the
developer is cooler the precipitation is there again.
I prepare the Pot.Oxalate in the following way: After having dissolved 210g
Potassium Carbonate in 1000ml dest. water I continue with 180g Oxalic Acid
and some more water until everything is completely dissolved.
I prepare the Am.Citrate in the following way: After having dissolved 300g
Citric Acid in 1000ml dest. water I continue with 300 ml Ammonium Hydroxide
(27%).
Using the developers unmixed works fine. The question is, can the mixed
developer be done in a different way without any precipitation?

TIA
Hans

Atelier Pictoform
Chia N-Löfqvist & Hans Nohlberg