Re: Palladium

From: Robert W. Schramm (schrammrus@hotmail.com)
Date: 12/04/00-08:00:52 PM Z

James,

Sorry to take so long to answer.

As I recall, the printed literature like "Keepers of Light" recommends
25 gms of sodium thiosulfate per 500 cc water and a fixing time of 5
minutes. I usually use 20 gms. per 1000 cc and a fixing time of 2 minutes. I
use kodak Hypo Clear or equivalent and wash, wash, wash.

Almost any paper will work as well as natural cloth like cotton.

I have a big box of Cranes Cover (platinotype) so I use that a lot
but I have used Fabriano Artistico and Uno, Rives BFK, Strathmore
as well as some handmade papers. You will get different effects and
the exposure time will be different. Try different papers until you
get one you like. If you want a platinum-like look, use a hot press
paper. Cold press papers will give you more of an impressionistic
effect.

The sensitizer keeps well. If mold grows in it, just strain it
through a coffee filter.

One more tip. Coat under a 15 watt incandescent white light so
you can see what you are doing. Dry in the dark.

Best wishes,

Bob Schramm