Re: Clearing Extravagatypes

From: Richard S. Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Date: 12/04/00-12:17:40 AM Z

Stieglitz and Keighley (sp?) wrote a paper on doing dutoned pt prints by
selectively developing and toning an exposed print with a mixture of
glycerine and gold or other salts. The glycerine retards development enough
that brush marks and lines do not show. It became apparent to me -- and
was also obviously apparent to Stieglitz and Keighley -- that a developer
could be added to the glycerine and the gold or other noble salts
eliminated. There is a short description in Keepers of Light on this. The
Extravagatype is my modification to the Stieglitz - Keighley toning process.

Besides the inherent beauty of the print here are several other advantages
not mentioned by Carl:

A very small quantity of developer is used on a one-time basis. 7 - 10 ml
per 8x10 print.

Contrast is controlled by adding small quantities of dichromate to the
glycerated developer. Several sheets can be coated all the same. They can
then be printed and then one only need to adjust the developer's contrast
for each print.

The use of glycerine in a developer is common in the classical literature
on pt printing. It is said to give an delicate velvety finish to a print.
Bostick & Sullivan once sold a developer about 20 years ago called Black
Magic (I was into marketing back then!) which was 50% glycerine and 50%
cold bath developer. I had a number of customers who were gung ho on it.
The problem was that the glycerine broke down after 15 or twenty prints
were developed in a quart. It was also expensive due to the cost of the
glycerine.

It might be of interest to some of the folks here to check out the two
papers recently published on our web site:
 (www.bostick-sullivan.com) about sodium chloroplatinate as a contrast
agent for pd and pt printing.

I will also soon be releasing the details on a new Satista process that is
easy to use and also economical.

Cheers.

--Dick Sullivan