Re: All Gum Show online exhibit

From: Don Bryant (dsbryant@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 12/12/00-09:59:15 PM Z

Sarah,
> 8 x 10 inches

I've just started working with an old Folmer & Schwing with one 210mm lens
and I have been seduced so to speak by the image shown by the large ground
glass. This provides an invitation to compose and organize space, shape,
texture, and tonality in a way that I've never before experienced. It also
provides a very nice sized negative for alternative printing. Less
expensive and time consuming than enlarging negatives but much less fluid
and spontaneous than a roll film camera.

> > I find that sometimes I have to put work away for a while before it is
clear
> > to me what I should concentrate on printing. Self editing is difficult
for
> > me because at times my concepts and subjects stem from fuzzy thinking.
But
> > eventually a strain of work seems to appear like different veins of ore.
> > Digging out the ore is at times the hardest part.
>
> I agree. But I don't consider it 'fuzzy' thinking with the attendant
> negative connotations. It just hasn't emerged into consciousness.

Thank you for restating this for me. Your comment is right on target.

> > So at this point you have you have two or three gum coats with different
> > tints?

Well I guess the bottom line is that I've got to try gum (aqua tint)
printing soon but it won't be in this century.

I still have yet to see a gum print in the flesh so I'm looking forward to
participating in the travelling portfolio.

Don Bryant