Copyright again

From: Nick Makris (nick@mcn.org)
Date: 12/17/00-09:51:57 AM Z

Seems pretty slow recently, so I thought I would bring up an old subject
with a slightly different twist.

As we all know (more or less) our photographs are essentially copyrighted at
birth - there are alot of rules here, but let's make that assumption for the
purpose of this discussion.

What I am not clear on is how copyrights apply to a traditional painting,
which is unique in itself and unlike a photograph, in this respect.
  a.. Does the artist retain them?
  b.. Does the current owner hold them, or do the rights have to be
specifically assigned at time of sale - what is the default?
  c.. Can the current owner sell/assign all/part of them?
  d.. What about paintings (and photographs for that matter) where the
artist has long been deceased?
I do have a specific case in mind; it regard several original watercolors
that were produced in the 1890's. They would make wonderful Alt prints.

What do you think?

Many Thanks,

Nick

"Your Image is Our Business"