Re: Carbon blacks

From: J. Wayde Allen (wallen@lug.boulder.co.us)
Date: 12/30/00-08:46:20 PM Z

On Thu, 28 Dec 2000, Sandy King wrote:

> First, your 3.5% dichromate solution for a negative with a DR of 1.9
> sounds about right to me so I don't have any reason to suspect the problem
> lies there.
>
> Although I am not familiar with your materials it would appear that you are
> using far too little pigment. I typically use between 40-60ml of Sumi Ink
> per 1000ml of solution, and often add other pigmets for different tones. As
> a first step to solve your problem I sugest you double or even quadruple
> the quantity of pigment per 1000ml.

I've put together a summary of carbon tissue formulations and normalized
the measurement values so that you can get an idea what the relationships
are between the ingredients used by several different practitioners (See
http://rmp.opusis.com/carbon/comparison.html)

- Wayde
  (wallen@lug.boulder.co.us)