Re: Dag info needed

From: Richard Morris (richard.morris@brunel.ac.uk)
Date: 02/03/00-02:26:04 AM Z

Jack

If the subject died 1839 it is very early and therefore not gold toned.
Even a hair across the image will remove the mercury. Don't even attempt to
clean it as even the usual methods are a bit suspect now. Unless the case
is very badly damaged don't even take it out. At least make a photo first!!

I can't answer for copying methods except that I find lighting almost
parallel with the image seems to work. You will also need to have a large
black card/cloth through which you poke the camera lanes else you will get
its reflection in the original image. Even the lens surround should be
black.

Hope that helps but it work for me. But above all don't touch the original
image. I have been taught how to clean them and even then images can be
destroyed, just in the first water wash, so the moral is never do it
unless absolutely vital.

Richard Morris

On Wed, 02 Feb 2000 17:40:53 -0800 Jack Fulton <jfulton@itsa.ucsf.edu>
wrote:

> Dear all, I have sent this message to the other alt. list so I hope it
> does not impinge upon you in any way to see it repeated but I would
> appreciate any info.
> I shall also check the Deaguerre Society site on the net
>
> Folks:
> I have recently been asked to work on a daguerretype taken in Denmark of
> a Lutheran or Presbyterian minister who died in 1839.
> Wow, an 1839 daguerrotype.
> It is still in the original case and has been in the family since first
> taken.
> It is deteriorating around the edges.
> They wish me to photograph it and work on it digitally.
>
> My question is to ask all of you re any special care needed to be
> regarded and if you have any specific techniques for photographing it.
>
> Thanks
> Jack Fulton

Richard Morris
Brunel University, UK