Re: What's in Kodak SII (or "S2") Activator Solution?

From: Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 02/09/00-06:37:45 PM Z

At 09:28 AM 02/10/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Can anyone tell me what's in Kodak's SII (or "S2") Activator solution? The
>SII activator solution is required in a formula for solarization. This Kodak
>proprietary chemical is unavailable here in Australia. From Kodak's
>website I've found that its for "processing Kodak stabilization-type papers"
>and is supplied as a ready to use liquid. The photo-supplier B&H in New
>York City have it in their catalogue, but because its in an undiluted liquid
>form, it'll be expensive/impractical to ship out to me half way around the
>world. If someone could tell me what the constituent chemicals are in SII,
>I'd be grateful.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Usuff Omar.

 I did a search for "activator" on the Kodak MSDS site. It came up with
this list of ingredients:

COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS

Weight % - Component - (CAS Registry No.)

 85-90 Water (007732-18-5)
  5-10 Potassium hydroxide (001310-58-3)
  1-5 Potassium sulfite (010117-38-1)
  1-5 Sodium sulfite (007757-83-7)