Re: Update on UV lamp degradation

From: Michael Mutmansky (psu4ever@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 02/11/00-04:39:41 PM Z

William,

I agree, and am planning on getting an Olec integrating timer, rather than a
metrolux. The Olec are made for UV exposure (for pre-press) so I would expect
them to be more suitable. They also can come with controls to turn on the
vacuum pump, etc. so they really do seem to be a good method. Also, they are
available used fairly inexpensively.

However, if you are not using an integrating timer, then you should be aware of
the output depreciation when a neg you printed last year is just not coming out
the same this year!

As I noted, these performance curves are general, but even so, after the first
1000 hours, the lamps may require an additional 1/2 stop of time added.
Considering the level of accuracy most photographers work at, this is not
terribly significant, and will fall into the overall noise level of variables
that are not controlled to high precision.

---Michael