Re: Another off-topic query

From: Sil Horwitz (silh@earthlink.net)
Date: 02/13/00-09:40:11 PM Z

At 2000/02/14 12:19 AM +0000, "Compos & Davis Photos" wrote:
>I always thought it comes from 120mm the neg being 6cm x 6cm. But that
>may be wrong.
>In UK we used to have 127 film, but that was smaller.
>That being the case why is 127 film smaller than 120, and where did
>35mm get its name for that matter?

Kodak used an arbitrary numbering system, beginning with "1" for the spool
with the large center, and "6" for the small center, except for 127, which
already had a small center. After all, they invented, they had the right to
identify their own way!

35mm is an entirely different matter: that's the width of film (regular
motion picture film). I think it's strange that people think it's so hard
to use the International System (metric system) when we use it all the time
(like this film). Never heard anyone ask for 1-1/2 inch film!

Sil Horwitz, FPSA
Technical Editor, PSA Journal
teched@psa-photo.org
silh@earthlink.net