Re: transfers

From: Gary Miller (gmphotos@earthlink.net)
Date: 02/21/00-09:02:00 PM Z

The solvents that work well are acetone and xylene. If you choose to use
one of the colorless blender markers it has to contain one of these two
solvents to work for the transfer. Be careful, most blender markers are
made with an alcohol base and the transfer will not work. You can use any
kind of paper. I find that the transfer is better if you apply to solvent
to the receiving paper, then place your copy over, and apply the solvent to
the back of the copy paper. Fresh copies work better than older ones and
you will find that some copiers make better output for this technique. Work
in a well ventilated area as the above mentioned solvents can adversely
effect you, especially acetone. The colorless blender markers look like
regular magic markers but the just contain a solvent. They are used for art
made with makers to help blend one color into the other. Prismacolor makes
many of these markers, but their colorless blender will not work for the
transfer process. The best way to tell if the marker contains xylene, if
the label does not say, is to smell it. It should smell like the typical
old magic marker smell. When in doubt, test, test, and test some more.
Remember that your final image will be reversed, so you may want to reverse
it when you make your copy. Also, inkjet or laser prints do not work with
this process.

Gary Miller