Re: History of Photography

From: Jack Fulton (jfulton@itsa.ucsf.edu)
Date: 02/25/00-10:50:42 AM Z

I note that certain texts are recommended for history. Over the years I'd grown
to feel Newhall's text due to a bias toward men did not cover the emotional
excitement afforded by good writing and insight.
Hence, I'd recommend looking at a number of texts. Naomi Rosenblum has put
together good data that often refers to other art expressions.
Robert Hirsch's 'Seizing The Light' is new, 500+ pages and written with a hipper
vernacular.
Too, to read Eder's book affords great information regarding the exciting
technical improvements so dear to us on this list.
I find comfort in The Silver Sunbeam from 1868 (is that the correct date?)
My original favorite was Gernsheim's due to his excitement in discovering
Niepce's pewter plate. I'd say his book is what made the medium alive for me.
Additionally, Jean-Claude LeMagny and André Rouille's, 'A History of Photography'
offers additional excellent info.
Now that I think of it … get thee to a good library at a good art school … like
mine at the San Francisco Art Institute which has an enthusiastic library staff.
Jack Fulton