Re: Bottle cleaning

From: Wayde Allen (wallen@boulder.nist.gov)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 17:39:49 /etc/localtime

On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, ken wrote:

> I was fortunate to be able to do some rural archeology a few months ago by
> stopping by deserted and falling down farm house's. I found a few large ,
> qt to gallon, brown bottles and jars laying around and half buried that I
> thought would be good for storing solutions. I have tried to soak out
> (detergent + bleach ) what night be dirt or the contents of what was in
> these items. I have not been successful. With large bottles and small mouths
> it seems an impossible task. Any recommendations?

Judging by your e-mail, I think you are the Ken that just works down the
street from me. If so, I can probably get you empty 4 liter acetone
bottles from some of our clean rooms. I'd have to go ask.

You can also usually get 16 oz glass bottles from the pharmacy since this
is what bulk cough syrups come in, although they have been moving from
glass to plastic lately. You usually just need to ask the pharmacists to
wash them out and save them for you rather than throw them away.

Otherwise, I'd suggest a good bottle brush and lots of elbow grease. Of
course that depends on what was in the bottles originally.

- Wayde
  (wallen@boulder.nist.gov)