Re: Commercials and the Post Factory Journal

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: Thu Jan 13 2000 - 19:33:58 /etc/localtime

On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Campos & Davis Photos wrote:
> If your production costs are high you would cut these dramatically by
> publishing on the web.

Obviously.

That's one reason there are so many "publications" on the web.

> You could set up a site with passwords, there are many of these on the web
> already, and forget about airmail etc.

You seem to think it's better to charge for web entry than for printed
matter. Don't follow your "reasoning" -- although your reluctance to
reach personally beyond the web, or to this quarter of the world beyond
the web, is interesting.

> Dont rule out banner ads if you
> obtain enough hits/page views because people will be falling over themselves
> to have a banner on your site, and referred sales could bring in more
> income.

Again, we are not on the same, um... wavelength. Post-Factory is NOT
about "hits" and page views. "Referred sales" is exactly the sort of thing
makes so many enterprises suspect, if not entirely corrupt, and we already
have enough of those. (I've seen some of those "sites" and even magazines.
Yuck.)

Once you need the numbers, it's almost impossible to avoid
lowest-common-denominator thinking and publishing. My belief, certainly my
hope, is that the highest-common-denominator folks can have a magazine,
too. Need I say that if I were trying to make money, a publication would
be my last choice? (This "conversation" didn't begin with my desire to
make more money, remember, but your desire to see P-F with a mouse click.)

I don't claim that info and ideas can't exist in a "for profit"
enterprise, but I can say without fear of contradiction that it's much
much tougher. Even so long-established and august an institution as the
New York Times is suspect, if not downright guilty at times in separation
of church and state. Keeping P-F an unassuming little print journal is
therefore (for this reason among others) on the side of the angels. (I
make my fortune day trading.)

> The US is far more advanced than UK in web presence, so there should be no
> shortage of experts there.
> I would just like to see your newspaper have more exposure. I would link to
> your site if you had one.

I have a little trouble taking that sentiment at face value. But I note
that you're "advising" me to give up print, which I like, to get
"banners," which I don't like, for people who can't manage to put a pound
note in an envelope. I see that as their problem, not mine.

So I close with a radical idea: There are intelligent, gifted, innovative
artists and photographers in the world who don't do Web !! Don't even have
computers, if you could believe. Now get this: nearly all of them can read
and have postal service.

Judy