Re: Re: Plateburner Problem

From: FDanB@aol.com
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 00:46:02 /etc/localtime

A 1K exposure unit (1000 watts) is fairly low-powered for some of the alt
processes. It's best to consider a 4K or higher output. The more powerful
units will not be self-contained in a cabinet; the exposure source hangs
from the ceiling and is usually used with a vacuum frame. They needn't be
expensive. If you shop around, you can find used ones on the cheap.

As I've mentioned before, the biggest consideration when moving from
fluorescent to burner is one of "darkroom atmosphere." The burners can be
loud and industrial-like what with their humming transformers and fans.
Oh, and did I mention the heat from the plate burners? I added and
auxiliary fan and vented to the attic in order to survive. Of course, the
50 second exposure times are nice too :-)

If you're considering a plate burner, try to "visit" one in use so you
can decide for yourself if the quite/meditative darkroom you cherish
won't be compromised by a melanoma city device.

Good luck!

Dan

You said in your message...