Reason for alternative processes

From: @wlsc.wvnet.edu
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 01:16:57 /etc/localtime

Of course the reasons will be personal but I have thought about this because
I have been asked many times at art shows by people looking at my work. I
usually give them one or more of the following:

1. I am totally in control of the printing process. I make the negative. I
   choose the process. I choose the paper. I choose how the sensitizer is
   applied. I choose the developer. I choose the toner. I do not have all
   this freedom with factory made paper and processing chemicals.

2. I am intimatly envolved in making the print since nothing has already
   been done for me; therefore, I am more emotionionally involved with the
   image.

3. I can select a process to fit the subject. I can alter the image by
   selecting the process.

4. Prints made with commercial paper and chemicals tend to have a similar
   appearence. I want a different look.

5. There is more subjectivity in alternative process printing and, therefore,
   more art. (my opinion)

In connection with this I believe that electronic or digital imaging is
rapidly becoming the "factory" process. Gelatin-silver will gradually
become an alternative process.

Bob Schramm