patriotic particulate matter

On Tue, 4 Jul 2000, Robert W. Schramm wrote:

> Nick,
>
> A 4th of July test to see if your Potassium Chlorate is any good.
>
> Mix 3 parts potassium chlorate with one part finely powdered sulfur
> and one part powdered charcole. Light with a match. If it explodes
> your potassium chlorate is good.  ;-)
>
> Bob Schramm

Heh, heh !  Speaking of which, however, the NY Times these past 2 days has
been full of reports about,

1. the particulate matter, that is, chemical residue of cadmium,
strontium, whatever, sprayed on an area undergoing fireworks, and,

2. the ironies in the fact that the fireworks with which we celebrate our
"Independence Day" are manufactured in the world's last communist
dictatorship -- also increasing our trade deficit with that nation.

However, I'm feeling quite internationalist at the moment... walked down
to the river today to watch the "tall ships" [ie."sailing ships"] go by,
not quite possible to envision the intrepid feats of those who voyaged to
"Here Be Dragons" in them before they even had auxiliary motors, let alone
radar, but still fun to try deciphering the many national flags (and enjoy
the macarena music broadcast from decks of one enterprising ship,
Brazilian ? ) Of equal interest were the spectators -- not just middle
America, but middle world, all languages & sorts, an amazing variety --
except not many upper crust types. They were all presumably watching from
penthouse roofs...

And if there are any Ukranians reading, the Times yesterday had a most
engaging story about the struggles and eventual triumph of the tall ship
from Ukraine which finally reached NY port after misadventures both modern
& ancient.

Also, speaking of particulate matter, we were exposed to many pointy
looking planes in an opening flyby -- then something that looked like a
giant antique photo corner. Husband said might be stealth bomber -- looked
perfectly 2-dimensional, matte black, with angled cutouts.

regards & happy 4th,

Judy