Re: Digital Negatives -- baby question

>> Judy Seigel wrote:
>>> ... Apparently the software had 16 bit scanning as the
>>> default. But when I got it into Photoshop, the program would inform me it
>>> couldn't do a thing above 8 bits. ...
>>> I'd be curious for a REALLY elementary
>>> explanation of what use the extra bits are ...

The extra bits are for the scanner to recognize more than 256 graylevels.
This is interesting when you apply a curve and set white and black points
at the scanning stage (which is what you should do). It also leaves room
for the scanner software to skip, say the two first bits which usually is
just noise.

SALTO
Printing & Lithography

Groenplaats 1