Re: Digital Negatives with enough Tones for Pt/Pd

On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, Nick Makris wrote:

> The text below was taken from the Photoshop 5.02 help file and it appears
> that Photoshop will import or open a file with 16 bits per RGB channel for
> 48 total.  The conversion of even an 8 bit file to a 16 bit mode (this would
> work with my 8 bit scanner) would then allow the selection of the low, mid
> and high tones that you spoke of, to be selected/deselected into 3 absolute
> registration images that could be saved individually.

As far as the 8 bit limitation of Photoshop goes, it might be worth
checking out Gimp Hollywood (Gimp16).  See:

   http://film.gimp.org/
   http://www.graphics-muse.com/linuxworld/history-4.html
   http://siggraph.gimp.org/

Also:

   http://www.gimp.org/

This doesn't solve the 8 bit printer issue, but "could" provide a solution
to the supposed 8 bit limitations of Photoshop.

- Wayde
  (wallen@boulder.nist.gov)