Re: Digital Negatives with enough Tones for Pt/Pd

FDanB@aol.com wrote:
> ... Dynamic Range - Bit Depth

For all practical purposes dynamic range and bit depth are tied
together, the greater the bit depth the greater the dynamic range.  The
only way to get a large dynamic range is to have a correspondingly large
bit-depth.  See:
http://www.scantips.com/basics14.html

>  This forces you to use the rudimentary scanner software to carefully select
> the best 8-bits.

I did have the impression that the HP ScanJet-6300 was a full service
12-bit scanner.  The included software may be rudimentary relative to
other programs but does do some nice things.  Unfortunately, one of
those seems to be to convert back to 8-bit with no option to deliver
12-bit to the file. (Rats!, unless I've missed something.)

> And a suggestion for Jeff who is disappointed by "banding" in the
> highlights. Have you tried adding some Noise (Filter>Noise>Add Noise) in
> Photoshop to just those parts of the image.

The problem with "an image trick" is that it artificially puts data into
the image.  The real "problem" with the banding in the highlights is
that it is noise and not banding.  This noise means that the subtleties
in those highlights have been covered up (hidden) by the noise.  And
since there is no information (data) as to those highlight subtleties or
lack thereof, there is no way to know what they are or look like.  So
then comes the cover up.

I do not care if the true image is presented in the print or if a
fabricated image is presented in its place, IF THIS IS DONE
INTENTIONALLY.  I don't want to draw on my prints, I don't want to add
or subtract things by chance, I don't want to present fabricated
highlights in my prints.  I WANT ALL THE SUBTLETIES AND ALL THE
HIGHLIGHTS IN MY PRINTS.  -This is what this issue is about.-

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/