Re: Buxton Papers

Judy,

> Don, I assume Mike Ware must have used Buxton for his New Cyanotype,
> because it was made with his collaboration, or at least was vetted by him,
> for his pt-pd process. And I know papers perform differently with the
> "new" and the "classic" cyano -- but my tests showed that Buxton was not
> especially good for "classic" or regular cyano ... granted the tests were

I am using the New Cyanotype and getting really miserable prints. This is
caused I beleive by:

1) My poor coating technique.
2) Negatives that aren't quite contrasty and dense for the process
3) The paper I'm using, which BTW includes Cranes #90 Natural White and
Bright White, Canson Bristol (a really inexpensive paper) and Fabriano Uno
#90 and something heavier perhaps #140.

My exposure times are running between 20 and 30 minutes and I either
underexpose or overexpose. I tried bleaching the dark prints with sodium
carbonate but end up with almost blanks highlights.

Don't misunderstand me, I don't expect Buxton to work miracles for my poor
technique but both Ware and Arentz speak highly of this paper so I wanted to
try some out *after* I started getting more consistent results.

Thanks for the input,

Don