Re: your mail

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Rod Fleming wrote:

> Now you clearly intend to give Wayde a good doing because he had the
> temerity to pick you up on what was either a pretty basic misapprehension,
> or an example of you expressing yourself very badly. No-one, may I remind
> you, is right all the time, and all the clever semantics in the world will
> not make them so.

While the support is flattering, please don't do this!  I am not that
fragile.  I think that I've presented the information that I can offer on
this topic.  It is now up to the list readers to sift through the data and
winnow out what is useful to them.  Jeff and I may disagree on a few items
here, but that is OK.  He really does make some very wonderful images.

I treat the list as an information exchange.  Topics can be raised, and
comments given.  I tend to think that some disagreement is a good thing
since it helps to identify those things that are not so clearly known,
understood, or even important.  Please, let us disagree - let's not make
things personal.  It isn't so much about who is right or wrong, but more
about whether or not the list readers can get some tidbit of information
or insight into a process that can help them in some way.

- Wayde
  (wallen@boulder.nist.gov)