Re: gaussian blur?

You might try scanning at a different resolution... or you might try the tool
in Photoshop to remove dust and scratches...

In a message dated 7/14/00 4:55:53 PM, jseigel@panix.com writes:

<<
Dear List Mind:

I've scanned a little cyanotype on a piece of muslin, circa 1900 I
believe, apparently one of a series done for quilting, or like that... for
my article(s) on cyanotype of all ages.

The problem is the weave of the fabric comes in so strongly on this one,
that it makes an ugly moiree pattern across the printout -- it doesn't
seem to show at all on the monitor -- in either pagemaker or photoshop
view, but totally spoils the picture in laser print out, and therefore, I
assume, in the offset version.

I tried a couple of the scanners descreening filters ("art," newspaper,
etc.)  which don't seem to solve the problem.  I'm wondering if there's
something I can do in photoshop?  Or perhaps aligning the square perfectly
straight on the scanner, more than I did -- or if there's some other
strategy anyone could suggest?

I don't mind the weave of the muslin showing, in fact that's quite fine --
the problem is that the computer or scanner or photoshop have in their
wisdom turned the fabric weave into a  crazed zigzag pattern...

thanks in advance for possible experience of the experienced...

Judy >>