Re: gaussian blur?

On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, Jeffrey D. Mathias wrote:
> Have you tried a different scan resolution?  If the sampling (ppi) is on
> the same order as the size of the cloth pattern (thread count) moiré
> type patterns may develop.  But then, I don't know anything about
> scanning.

This is essentially what several people said, my thanks to all and
blessings on the list mind... I'd come on a couple of hours ago and read
Jeffrey's suggestion, figured it was easy enough to try. So either this is
instinctive genius, or I got lucky, or.... anyway I ran about a dozen
"previews" each at different resolutions, they're quick, tho not very
detailed. Also tried to get the muslin at better right angles -- and
varied the descreens. The descreens did zilch, but finally, deciding that
600 dpi looked least worst (original was 300 dpi), I scanned, then cut
down to 300 dpi in Photoshop, brought into Pagemaker and printed by the
600dpi laser. (Just looking by the monitor all looked fine, even the
first.)

The new laser print via pagemaker looks excellent -- shows the muslin
TEXTURE, which I wanted, but no non-image pattern.  Hurrah!  Thanks to
all...

Madame Defarge