Re: Optimizing Negatives for Scanning

Jeffrey,

I looked at the scan comparisons you showed online... the scanner noise that
shows in your scans seems awfully regular for random noise... also it almost
appears that some of the ccd's in the scanner are not functioning at the same
level as others, giving you lines in the scan.

I'm confused by what you said about bit depth and noise... I think many
scanner and software combinations will do 16 bit scans... however, the better
scanners will have reduced noise... and it is more a feature of the hardware
capabilities of scanner than whether it is 8 bit or 16 bit... I would rather
start with a good 8 bit scan from a good scanner than a bad 16 bit from a low
quality scanner...

Mark Nelson
In a message dated 7/11/00 1:17:07 PM, jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net