Re: [lug] Re: GIMP: is CMYK imprtant for monochrome work (fwd)

At 08:16 PM 07/18/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>At 2:23 PM -0600 7/18/00, Wayde Allen wrote:
>>[...]
>

>>Were you just to take an RGB image and then use the simple formula to
>>convert it to CMYK, your results on the printed page (off a printing press)
>>would be unacceptable. Many folks have spent a lifetime on just doing
>>"color science" to perfect what are now in the industry called "color
>>profiles", where you are profiling the color gamuts of the source image,
>>your monitor and the target device (ink on paper.)
>
>I've never had the nerve to ask this before - what does "gamut" mean?

  Gamut means the range of colors a system can produce. It depends on
things like the color characteristics of inks used for printing or the
phosphors used for color television tubes.
  One problem when using graphic programs like Gimp or Photoshop is that
the judgements are made on the basis of a color CRT which has a different
gamut than the inks or dyes used for the final image. Color management
systems are supposed to compensate for this so that the screen gives a more
accurate idea of what the printed version of the image will look like.
 This is a gross oversimplification.
  A book like _The Science of Color_ Ralph M. Evans or _The Reproduction of
Color_ R.W.G.Hunt will tell you a lot more.
----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles,Ca.
dickburk@ix.netcom.com