Re: Digital Negatives

julio and imelda wrote:
> >From: MIKENPHOTO@aol.com
> >  For years I've used afga n31 film for copy and enlarged negs but
> > regretably, it now seems to have been discontinued. I even tried that arista
> > contiuous tone film but it seems to have a short scale, more like paper.
> > What's everybody using these days??
>
>   My friend.
>     I used to do the same thing until I found Dan Burkholder's Book
>   You must say good bye to these films and change over to digilal work....

It may be wise to not jump blindly and too quickly into the digital
route as it still has some serious drawbacks to be worked out.  Such as
more posterization and less continuous tone than may be desired and a
lack of individual tones, especially in the highlights.  These may be
overcome as better equipment (such as 16-bit scanners) and better
software (such as the 16-bit GIMP) are available.  And also some
improvement in multiple inks suited for making photographic negatives
(specific to the blue sensitive processes) as the printers can use some
improvment too.

In the mean time, Kodak still makes their Commercial film 4127 in 4x5
and 8x10 sizes.  This film with masks made on Kodalith 2556 works
incredibly well (see my guide at link below for details).  For larger
sizes, you may wish to try Kodak Duraclear material which is availible
in standard sheets or large rolls.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/