Re: Intaglio/Photogravure/Etching

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 06/01/00-12:51:34 PM Z

On Thu, 1 Jun 2000, peter fredrick wrote:
> There is in my opinion a genuine need to try and master as much
> information as possible however hard and stony the learning curve. If in
> gaining this information we as a list from time to time veer off topic so
> be it . So you see I
> do have reasons for this list to be used to discuss digital issues other
> than the production of digital contact negatives for alternative
> processes.The prime one being holistic. The pursuit of excellence in image
> making ! not just negative construction.

I'll add that I just got an offlist message from someone a lot younger
than I am (ie, has much more time to waste) about how long it took her to
get some info from digital lists about a digital printer, and how many
questions remained unanswered, answerable perhaps only by THIS list, with
ITS usage, where it would have to be all explained again anyway. Right now
I myself am trying like a good girl to fathom manual for largebed scanner
-- again, leaves as many questions as it answers.

Meanwhile, speaking of horses & carts, I trot out my favorite example
about beer and whine in Utah. Folks put 15 messages (or was it 20?) about
that on the list without an "offtopic" murmur. So tolerance varies with
cases -- how soon someone bitches depends on which side of the bed he got
out of that day, or whom he wishes to whack upside his head.

Because after all it's SO easy to simply delete -- again & again I've
gotten VERY interesting info folks feared to put on the list lest it be
called offtopic. Didn't seem offtopic to me & I have urged them to send,
sometimes they do... but meanwhile there seems no end of minute parsings &
increments of how many pixels can dance on the end of a platinum dot. Of
course I appreciate those messages most sincerely -- being way past my own
information-overload mark, I can delete them before reading... And so can
anyone else.

When a question that would be under strict construction "off topic"
arrives, I note that it is often EAGERLY seized upon. Folks
enjoy/appreciate the discussion. After all, so much belaboring of pixel
dots can grow tiresome. I'd take response as at least a partial guage...
do folks WANT to talk about it?

best,

Judy