RE: Intaglio/Photogravure/Etching

From: Randall Webb (randall.webb@lineone.net)
Date: 06/03/00-03:54:11 PM Z

Peter Frederick wrote

Whilst I hate to disagree with both Jeffrey and Katharine. I feel this
issue has been oversimplified.>>

Peter I agree with all you say (I think). I feel that gravure, etching and silk screen are without doubt alt proccesses even if they are in fact photo-mechanical. If you consider the methods used which include: cutting the plate, graining it. making a carbon print to stick on it, exposing the resist, etching in acid, aquatinting, dampening the paper, adjusting the press, inking the plate and printing, then how alternative has it got to be?
These three also can justify themselves as capable of being made into limited editions just as non photo based prints are.
On the subject of digital/computers, I am still recovering from the fact that I sent an attachment a week or two ago. That's interesting as I wouldn't know how to send one if asked and the only virus you'll get from me is influenza.
I have an evil little box called a Think Pad. It doesn't think or do what it is told.
I've now got a new machine with a TV screen that will probably receive the Simpsons.
In an ideal world when I press the button it will say "Oh Mighty One, Thy wish is my command." !
Surely that's not beyond the wit of Bill Gates
Randall Webb