re: 35 mm Scanners

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 06/06/00-11:45:51 AM Z

On Tue, 6 Jun 2000, Editor - P.O.V. Image Service wrote:
> I've had the Polaroid SS 4000 for almost a year now...
>
> Been ecstatically pleased with it..
>
> Would suggest getting the VueScan software for an additional $40 if you are
> going to be doing a lot of scans...
>
> You can find it at :
>
> www.hamrick.com.
>
> It will even let you do multi-pass scanning for those dense negs and slides...
>
> And does a much better job of color conversion than does the Insight Software
> from Polaroid...
>
> It also has profiles for a host of emulsions that Polaroid's software does
> not...
>
> The Polaroid software is ok for general use, but for serious scanning, the
> VueScan software is worth the $40..

I've had the Polaroid SprintScan 35 for over a year now, making it
veritably a dinosaur among peripherals, and tho the hardware is probably
OK, I gather it's not now nor ever was top of the line. But the software
was, well the word around here would be verblungit, which might translate
as "the pits." In fact the company said my scanner was defective and sent
a replacement, was even prepared to replace that as defective until I,
moi, their non-compos ditsy customer, figured out that contrary to the
then "manual" it wouldn't scan in b&w mode, plus other details of like
order.

Presumably the Vue Scan would be more intelligent, leading me to wonder:

does it work on other models?

does it work on the Mac?

where does one get it? from that Website?

And what if one is NOT a "serious scanner," that is, average no more than
a dozen scans in a month, usually, but willing to lay out $40 ANYWAY? (I
have some exceptionally dense b&w negs.) Would the learning curve and
general improvement justify installing and learning yet another new
program (in your opinion of course)?

Thanks for any & all enlightenment.

Judy