Re: gum bichromate/liquitex

From: garimo (omirag@cruzio.com)
Date: 06/09/00-09:08:06 PM Z

Hi Sarah,
  I wonder if you have kept track of how long prints with the liquitex
hold up? A couple of years ago (summer of '98) there was talk here on
the list of using the liquitex gloss medium as a glaze over prints...
so I tried some. I think it was 1:10 and I brushed it over some
cyanotypes and Van Dyke Brown prints. The look is a nice enhancement...
 I remember going to the liquitex web site and reading that they say it
is archival... Since then, I have had a VDB print matted and framed
hanging on the wall (not in bright sunlight but there is a skylight in
that room)...and I have kept some cyanotypes in a portfolio box out of
light. I have noticed no yellowing or any change in color in the past
two years...but, the VDB print seems to have developed some cracks in
the glaze like it is becoming brittle and shrinking and starting to
separate. I keep watching it to to see if they grow and multiply...but
it's so hard to measure by eye... I think they are growing... It's not
the paper and print...but just the gloss finish on the surface.
  Have you ever noticed any aging effects of liquitex??

garimo