Re: Nova processor for Pyro dev

From: Tox Gunn (tox@remarque.org)
Date: 06/11/00-12:15:57 PM Z

Cool, glad to hear it. I'm new to pyro, but am rather curious. (Incidentally, if
anyone can point me to notes on whether tech pan plays well with pyro, I'd love to
know). Sounds like an excuse to build another processor. As you'd suggested, making
a slot processor yourself isn't terribly difficult, just takes a couple hours on
each of a couple weekends. For the curious, here is a link to a writeup on how I
built mine. No drains (turkey baster) or water bath, but simple for room-temp.
(Built mine with the goal of b&w paper development w/ reduced setup, teardown)

http://remarque.org/~tox/photography/juryrig/slotprocessor.htm

Thanks for the info, hope your neck releases and the sensation is restored!

Tox
> HI gang
>
> I thought you might be interested in this...........I like to develop 10x8
> by inspection in PMK Pyro, but have always had problems with trays-
> oxidation too quick, and I'm afraid that even with the finest vinyl gloves I
> find it very hard to handle the wet film. (I've tried the Jobo, which works
> fine, but no inspection.) This has been exacerbated over the last 6 weeks
> after I trapped a nerve in my stupid neck, leaving me with very reduced
> sensation in my left index finger and thumb.
>
> Anyway last week I took delivery of a device from Nova in UK called a
> "Monochrome" processor. It's designed "specifically" for doing conventional
> b&w prints. I had sketched up a similar device but bought theirs, even
> though it's a bit pricey, just because I am very busy at the moment. The
> device consists of 3 vertical 11x9.5 inch slots formed from a clear
> dimple-surface acrylic material in an acrylic frame. Each slot holds just
> under a litre of solution. It has three drains, which are badly placed, but
> never mind. Like all of these Nova slot processors, it depends on a very
> cleverly designed clip to hold the film.
>
> Well, it works a treat. Your hands stay dry, so no health & safety issue
> from the pyro, you can see the image coming up through the clear wall of the
> slot, and the whole will sit in a simple tempered water bath. The surface
> area is very small relative to solution volume, and I have had no difficulty
> processing 4 10x8 sheets consecutively in one charge of dev, which means
> that it's an economical and environmentally friendly process. Agitation is
> performed by sliding the clip, and thus the suspended film, from side to
> side, so no aerial oxidation. (Nova suggest agitation by picking the whole
> thing up and giving it a sort of circular rotation...mad as hatters, they
> are, and it's unnecessary.)
>
> I've got nothing to do with Nova, and as I said the thing is overpriced for
> what you get (I can write it off against the business, obviously), but the
> principle is sound. If you had a bit of spare time you could rattle up
something very similar yourself from acrylic sheet. The main thing would be