Re: Negative Retouching

From: Michael Goldbard (m@gbard.com)
Date: 06/11/00-12:43:10 PM Z

>In a message dated 6/9/00 11:40:13 AM, nashcom@btinternet.com writes:
>
><< Dan said, 'Adams made a device that was a small vibrating light box that
>
>helped with the "stippling" action with the retouching pencils'. Is this
>
>Ansel Adams, or is it a manufacturer of vibrating light boxes? >>
>
>Adams was the name of the company. Don't think they had any connection to the
>Ansel Adams family. I'm sure there are some of those retouching boxes
>floating around somewhere. You might call Brooks Institute in CA and ask if
>they still any.
>
>Dan

Dan et al,

I had hoped that someone more knowledgeable than I would set the
record straight, but this has apparently become a recondite subject.

I just verified that:

        Adams Retouching Machine Co., Inc.
        1036 W. 8th Avenue
        Denver, Co 80204

        1-303-534-6789

is still in business. The most recent price list to which I have
access (June 15, 1997) lists the Adams Retouching Machine for
$595.00, plus shipping, as well as a full array of retouching tools
and materials, including etching and abrading tools and retouching
leads.

Circa 1997 most such machines were being used for retouching of 35mm
and medium format portraits, such as senior portraits, using liquid
retouching dyes and very fine brushes, mostly working on the base
side of the film, rather than the retouching pencils commonly used on
larger formats. The Kodak publication by Vilia Reed, as I recall,
principally treats that method. When employed in that fashion the
vibration facility often isn't used, but the machines are still
capable of variable vibration for pencil use.

By the way, the use of these machines is not limited to retouching
black and white negatives. The method for color film is similar but
the negatives are retouched in layers (corresponding to the emulsion
layers) with appropriately colored dyes.

Apropos of the original question in this thread, I don't know how
effectively the retouching dyes and pencils would work in alt
processes.

        Michael