Re: Digital vs Analog - Corollary Questions

From: Nick Makris (nick@mcn.org)
Date: 06/12/00-08:19:09 AM Z

Jeffrey and all,

What started all my recent posts/threads was my investigation into a
perceived loss of detail in my PT/PD prints. Yesterday I proceeded to check
another aspect of the process I use - once again, the Ferric Oxalate from
B&S. Looking into the archives and Jeffrey's technical notes, I determined
that with a very little Potassium Ferricyanide, I should be able to test the
FO. BTW, Potassium Ferricyanide is what you find in packet A of Farmers
Reducer. In reading further, I found a post that suggests that this test
doesn't work with the B&S FO. Have sent a post to Richard and am waiting to
hear.

In any case, I performed the test and the FO failed. This is very fresh
stuff from powder that I recently purchased. Two things come to mind here;
1) I haven't been totally faithful about not exposing the FO to room light,
it may have happened once or twice for a short time, and 2) it clears the
paper unlike a previous batch of B&S FO that had gotten old, (more than 6
months).

Has anyone used Potassium Ferricyanide to test B&S FO and what are the
nuances associated with exposing FO to room light?

Back to the Flat Negs issue:

I am using an Epson 1520 and I have converted the ink carts so that they use
shades of black(25,50,75%) instead of CMY and the resulting negs appear
to not require a specific curve.

I say they don't require a curve, but what I am really saying is that both
the Lightjet and the Epson print exactly what is on my screen - that may be
more personal taste, tainted by the requirements of the selected process, in
my case PT/PD. But, I can successfully print a 21 step tablet from either
and
the resulting prints look very similar.

BTW, I think I may have just figured out that these are the reasons why I
have
been challenging that flat look in digital negs. 1) because I use shades of
black vs CMY; and 2) because I don't use the Imagesetter which is what the
flat curves are all about; and 3) like Jeffrey said, PT/PD responds
differently to
colored inks than to black or shades thereof.

What I really need, is to collaborate with someone who is working with
similar equipment - anyone working with the Lightjet and/or Epson 1520 or
similar printer with MIS quadtone inks? See www.missupply.com

Many thanks,

Nick